Monday, February 17, 2014

When in Seoul

About the title of this post. Remember the movie When in Rome starring the handsome Josh Duhamel and one of my favorites Kristen Bell? They were actually in Rome. Unfortunately for me, When in Seoul is not really in Seoul. (May masabi lang.)

Actually, the reason for the title is that I've been in a small restaurant called Seoul Kitchen located just somewhere around University of the Philippines Los Banos. If you have been to LB, you know that there are lots of restaurants, coffee shops, canteens, 7/11, Ministop, and the list goes on. You would also know that LB is kind of a home to some Koreans. Some exchange students, I think, or some just vacationing. And so you shouldn't be surprised if you find any Korean resto around the campus. One of these is Seoul Kitchen. It's kinda hard to find it since it's just a small restaurant in a not so distinct location for those who haven't been to LB.

Don't ask me to draw directions. Not good at it. All I can say is that it's along FO road (and I don't even know what FO stands for, and yes, I was born and raised in LB so WTH). Just ask some UPLB students where it is. Don't worry. They're really friendly. (No sarcasm there, promise.)

Anyway, I've only been in Seoul Kitchen twice. And I think I'm addicted to their food already. I sometimes find myself really craving for their bestseller which is the Red Chili Carbonara. Like a pregnant woman craving for something. No joke. 

I'm not a food critique but this Red Chili Carbonara is just so good. It's spicy, of course. But the spice is just what makes it super delicious. If you're really hungry, you could finish this one serving by yourself. 

Twice I've been in SK, I've always paired the RCC with Kori Kopi. I'm not good at description (which sucks, I know) so just check out the pictures.


Kori Kopi: Coffee Ice Cubes + Milk + Syrup (or melted sugar, no idea)


See those Coffee Ice Cubes? I'm a fan of Iced Coffee so I can really say "They had me at Coffee Ice Cubes."


Just looking at this makes me want to go back there.

We also tried out their Mandu which serves as the appetizer. It's like a Korean version of dumpling but a vegetable dumpling.


Vegetable dumpling fried to crisp

And of course, Kimbap! It's a Korean version of sushi with carrots, cucumber, egg, fish cake, and yellow radish. They also have three choices of Kimbap: original, tuna and beef. We chose to try tuna.


A dozen slices of Tuna Kimbap

We also tried the beef bulgogi (fire meat) served with rice and kimchi but forgot to take a picture of it. It's like beef steak but sweeter. They also have the spicy pork bulgogi but we opted for the beef since we've had too much spices on our plates already. 

But if you really like spicy food, cheese lappoki will be definitely the food for you. It's ramen noodles in spicy paste sauce with rice cakes and fish cakes. It is also topped with cheese which makes it even better.


Lappoki topped with cheese

A Korean restaurant will not be a legit Korean resto if they don't serve Bibimbap. SK's version of Bibimbap is really, really good. Their chili paste is the best. Every Bibimbap is also served with kimchi.


Bibimbap stands for "mixed rice"


SK's version of kimchi

Seoul Kitchen also serves desserts such as Honey Butter Bread and Pat Bing Soo or the Korean version of our Halo-Halo. We didn't try the desserts because our stomachs were about to explode. (Seriously.) But it looks really good on the menu.




Need I say more?

All in all, Seoul Kitchen is a best place around LB if you're craving for Korean food. The ambiance is cool and perfect for lunch date with your special someone but even more perfect with your barkada (hehe). You can even watch the MTV of some famous Korean performers. (yey! Dara!) I didn't get to take so many photos of the place because I was really excited to eat (patay gutom e). And when we were there, the owner - who's a Korean - was kind of in an art-is-cool project so the place was a little crowded with her things. My appetite though, was still excited to try the delicious food in this awesome new place that is Seoul Kitchen.




-K out!

No comments:

Post a Comment